On 12th October I will be heading out to Kenya for the next part of the Project Africa plan. I pinch myself each time a group heads out there – to remind myself how amazing it is to be part of this incredible initiative.
It has been a busy couple of months in Ol Maisor. At the HOME Awards in May, Ralph announced that we would be putting in a clean water solution at the school and that project is now underway. It will be life changing for the community to have clean, easily accessible water. The benefits to their health will be significant, really significant.
So what does the next trip have in store for us –
- We’ll be helping the technicians with the water installation
- Building three more teachers’ homes
- Creating a crop farm on the school grounds to supplement the children’s diet and to teach them new skills
- Providing training on the benefits of clean water
- Setting up a bio gas facility linked to the school kitchen
- Ascertain which children we will sponsor through their secondary education
I think everyone at William Hill who has contributed to Project Africa in some way should feel very proud, proud that we are making such a difference to others’ lives, proud that people are giving up their time to push themselves way out of their comfort zone to help the community of Ol Maisor and proud that we work for a company who gives so much back to those less fortunate – both in Africa and in our own countries.
I’d like to wish Natalie Charlton, Vince Bateson, Thomas Murphy, Robbie Savage, Andrea Macqueen, Tom Keeber and Maria Assesnova all the very best as they climb Mount Kilimanjaro in aid of Project Africa – good luck guys !!! Many William Hill colleagues are undertaking fundraising for Project Africa and to find out more about these please visit the Fundraising pages on this site.
Watch out for updates on the October 2013 team next week – as they begin blogging their thoughts on the challenge ahead.